Exit Planning Process
“To think is easy. To act is difficult. To act as one thinks is the most difficult” — Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
Exit Strategies offers California business owners a complimentary in-person consultation and facility walk-through. You’ll get to know us and our capabilities, and we’ll get an understanding of your business and your priorities, and together we can decide if an exit planning project makes sense. We will recommend the appropriate scope of analysis during our initial meeting. Solutions are sometimes obvious and we can move straight to planning and implementation. More often, exit planning is a three-phase process.
Phase 1: ASSESS YOUR COMPANY
We conduct an objective and reasonably thorough investigation of your company from an investor perspective. In addition to all the analysis that goes into a typical Business Valuation, the Assessment uncovers any conditions that are limiting marketability or transferability, and identifies likely buyer types, deal structures and financing options. In some cases, e.g. manufacturing companies, we dive deeper into plant operations.
Phase 2: CREATE YOUR EXIT ROAD MAP
The Assessment lays the foundation for strategic and operational decision making. We work with you to consider strategic alternatives and select your best-case Exit Option, and develop a course of action to close any gaps in value, marketability or transferability. We can recommend and coordinate with experts to reduce taxes and transfer wealth efficiently.
An Exit Roadmap will set clear financial, operational and organizational goals, and identify specific strategies and action steps. The focus is often on growing the business, improving profit margins and efficiency, and reducing business risk, all with a defined purpose, your successful exit. When your end-game is a third-party sale, an Exit Roadmap prepares you and your business for the M&A sale process.
Phase 3: IMPLEMENT YOUR PLAN
Ways We Help with Implementation
- Help you maintain momentum by regularly reviewing progress and holding you accountable.
- Introduce legal, tax, estate planning and financial professionals and coordinate with them as needed.
- Introduce specialist consultants to implement specific strategies.
- Serve on an advisory board.
- Update the Assessment periodically to measure progress.
- Help you modify plans as conditions change.
- If making acquisitions is one of your growth strategies, we can help you identify targets and complete transactions. We can also advise on integrating those acquisitions.
- If bringing in growth capital is on your Exit Roadmap, we can introduce you to private equity partners and help you complete a sucessful recapitalization transaction.
Exit planning provides an exceptional return on investment, and should be one of the easier investment decisions you’ll make. Of course, you have to be willing to change and open to transforming your company. The earlier we get involved, the more impact we can have.
Your Next Step
To learn how Exit Strategies can help you exit your business on your terms and time frame, contact us today.